Friday, August 3, 2012

Making Cheese Is Not Work.

Work. Eight hours a day. Five days a week. Vacations, holidays, sick time.

Makes me tired just to think about it. No wonder people come home and zone out in front of the TV. No wonder I come home and zone out in front of the TV. But that's man's lot in life, right? Not necessarily. I read somewhere, probably in a book by Daniel Quinn, that hunter gatherers work approximately 25 hours a week. No vacations or weekends, of course, but does one really need that after a 4-5 hour day? And this work isn't manufacturing auto parts or talking to rude people who think its your fault their wireless modem doesn't work. This work is gathering tubers. Or making baskets. Fishing, sometimes. That's my idea of a nice weekend right there. And that's how we have evolved to live for tens of thousands of years. Screw farming, what we should really be going back to is hunting and gathering.

That's how cheesemaking feels to me. Its pretty cool. I could probably do five things while making cheese if I wanted to. Tonight I am making robiola (recipe at the end) and blogging. And talking with Emma and Hannah and Ali. And having some homemade mead.

To make this cheese I bring the cheese up to temp, add starter, wait for 4 hours, add rennet, wait overnight, and then cut curds and mold the cheese. Now that is a chill cheese. (By the way... in the last post Ali suggested that she messed up my Robiola cheese because the curds didn't form well. Nope, not at all. I tried a store brand milk and got burned. Use Praire Farms.)

The next question is of course how to incorporate this into life, and that's something I haven't quite worked out yet. I suppose Ali and I could move to the UP and pay cash for a bunch of property and just live, but that's not very realistic. We like seeing other people sometimes. And watching TV. Permaculture might be an acceptable compromise, we'll see.




http://www.cheesemaking.com/Robiola.html

No comments:

Post a Comment